Monday, October 16, 2006

Well, there has been some excitement in our lives the past few days. First of all, Dave left this morning with Ken for Guatemala! They are off to the Christian Camping International - Latin America conference. It will be a great opportunity for them to meet others involved with camping in Latin America, as well as learn from the different speakers.

It actually came about in a really amazing way. We first heard about it through Bessy Macotto - a Honduran who we met through our friends, Wayne and Jenni, from New Zealand! Such a small world! Anyways, she invited us, but we said we couldn't go because of work at the camp and the school. We had no idea that Ken was also considering going to the conference and thought that it would be a great opporunity for Dave! It was very cool to see God work out all the details. Sadly, I can't go because I'm teaching, but I'll be staying with Sue and the kids - always an adventure! Please pray for Ken and Dave's safety as they travel by bus.

The other excitement in our lives wasn't quite as positive. I was attacked by a neighbour's dog yesterday. I am okay, just a few teeth marks and scratches, but it definitely scared me quite a bit. It is a dog that I walk by all the time, but it is normally safely behind the fence. Anyways, I was just jogging by, and it came right at me, put its paws right up on my shoulders, and its teeth into my side! I screamed - so loud that Ken heard me down the street! Anyways, the dog backed off and I ran off as fast as I could!! We talked to the owners of the dog later, and they were very kind, and promised to keep the dog locked up in the future. They also told us that the dog has all of its rabies shots - very good news! I am very grateful that the situation didn't end up a lot worse, though I think I will always be a bit nervous walking by that house! Too bad I walk past it about 3 times a day!!

The ironic part is just last week, I told my students how I was scared of dogs (it runs in my family), and they laughed at me! They couldn't see what there was to be scared of, and they thought I was joking! I will have to show them my cuts as evidence!

Besides the dog incident, life continues to be good. This is the last week of classes before exam week at school, so I have almost survived the first parcial (semester). We had a cultural day at school on Thursday, which was great. The students brought in all types of typical Honduran foods, created displays and dressed up in traditional costumes. Lots of parents came and the students seemed to really enjoy it.

Well, that's about it from here. I will try to update again soon, and put up some of Dave's Guatemala pictures when he gets back.

2 Comments:

At 2:40 a.m., Blogger rab said...

Sounds like a good reason to have dogophobia, if you ask me!

 
At 1:09 p.m., Blogger Roger & Heather said...

Well, you know my opinion of dogs anyways. So this affirms what I think of them. Sorry dog lovers but I rest my case.
Glad you are ok Esther. I am sure you are a good screamer like your mother is!!
love mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home