Friday, November 25, 2005

Adventures on Stewart Island!

Well, an "adventure" definitely sums up our recent trip to Stewar Island. Our expectations of a peaceful and relaxing time came into question as our ferry rocked in ocean swells. We quickly fought the rolling to get outside and get a breath of fresh air. For two people fairly accustomed to boats and no previous experience with sea sickness, we were looking pretty green!!

The trip quickly improved though, as we docked and stepped onto solid ground. After checking in at the Info Centre, we headed off on the Raikura Track. It was an absolutely beautiful tramp, filled with beaches, waterfalls and the most magnificent trees! The entire time you felt like a Hobbit should jump out from behind one! The track did involve a fair amount of mud, which my backside quickly found. But, my lovely husband picked me up, let me cry on his shoulder, and found me some fresh clothes. While it wasn't overly humourous at the time, we've had a few laughs since. Supposedly my face was "priceless".

The second major adventure of the trip invovled another hole, though this time in the floor of the ocean. We decided to catch a water taxi back to the harbour with a few Americans we met along the way. A great plan, until we realized the tide was on its way out, so we'd all be pushing the boat or we'd be beached for a few hours. I've had a fair bit of experience pushing boats out of sand bars (Thank you North Beach and West Lake), but I knew this one had the potential to go wrong. We had little choice though, so we kept pushing, until I yelled, "There's a hole!", and began to sink into the depths of the ocean. It was actually only up to my waist, but that's quite a drop from ankle-deep water. Anyways, my lovely husband wasn't quite as quick to respond this time, as he thought I might be exaggerating, until he fell in the hole too! Our American friends rescued us both, and the boat finally moved, so as they say, "All is well that ends well".

I guess that is all for now. Sadly, still no pictures as we rely on the kindness of New Zealand's public libraries. We will post some as soon as we can. Thanks for your comments! We love to hear what you are up to! Off to the glaciers, Mt Cook and the world's first bungee jump site this week - might have to give it a go :)

1 Comments:

At 12:29 p.m., Blogger Steve Heidt said...

Oh mercy,

These sound like quite the adventures!!! Just make sure that those hobbits don't convince you to go to Mt. Doom with them :)

Well keep having a great time and Dave thanks for looking after my Dad's baby. (That would be you Esther.)

Love,
Steve and Alison

 

Post a Comment

<< Home